The new School of English at DCU is a dynamic research-focused school with expertise in a variety of literary eras and genres including Poetry, Children’s Literature, Irish Studies, American writing, post-colonial literature, nineteenth century writing, the Novel, Drama, and Creative Writing. This is an exciting time for us as we build upon our strengths and traditions in a newly expanded School. As part of our commitment to excellence in postgraduate research the School of English is pleased to offer a scholarship for a full-time PhD student commencing September 2017. The successful candidate will be paid a stipend of €16,000 per annum for up to four years, subject to satisfactory annual progression. Registration fees will also be paid. There will also be a number of scholarships for fees available.
Applicants must have a relevant undergraduate degree at first-class honours level or at least 2.1 level. It is desirable that they should hold a relevant Master’s qualification. Candidates who are currently completing a Master’s qualification are welcome to apply.
The School of English is particularly interested in receiving research proposals in the following areas:
- Postmodernism and postmodern culture
- Literary theory
- Modern Irish narrative, drama, film, novel, poetry, theatre, women writers
- Irish and British Fiction of the late eighteenth and the nineteenth century
- Children’s and Young Adult Literature generally or directed at the St Patrick’s Campus Library archives including Patricia Lynch Collection, Padraic Colum Collection, Cathal Ó Sándair Collection, Bartlett Puffin Collection.
Other proposals of interest might be in the following areas:
- Experimental Literature
- Popular Literature
- Gender and Sexuality
- Post-colonial Literature
See Graduate Studies Office on application process: http://www4.dcu.ie/graduatestudies/how_to_apply.shtml
Interested candidates must first agree a research proposal with a School of English staff member. Candidates will be directed to potential supervisors on application.
Email applications to Dr Derek Hand, Head of School: email@example.com, indicating School of English PhD scholarships in the subject line. Applications should include the following:
- A CV including names and contact details of two academic referees.
- A copy of undergraduate and postgraduate degree certificates.
- Copies of transcripts from undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.
- A letter outlining the candidate’s suitability for the scholarship.
- A research proposal c3000 words accompanied by a bibliography (which is not included in the word count).
Other useful resources:
DCU Graduate Studies Office: http://dcu.ie/graduatestudies/index.shtml.
Closing date for applications is 17:00 (Irish time) on Wednesday, 31 May 2017.