5th International PhD seminar in Irish Studies Irish College
Following the successful editions of 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016, the Leuven Centre for Irish Studies will organise its fifth PhD seminar in Irish Studies in 2018, in collaboration with EFACIS.
The aim is to give PhD students in Irish Studies from different European countries the opportunity
- to present their research in a congenial, interdisciplinary environment,
- to receive feedback and advice from established scholars and students with various backgrounds,
- to hone their methodological skills,
- to deepen their knowledge of the different aspects of Irish literature and culture, history and society.
The programme will consist of
- lectures by invited keynote speakers, all renowned scholars in different fields of Irish studies,
- workshops on different critical theories and methodologies convened by academic experts,
- student presentations, where participants present their own research for an audience of scholars and peers.
Plenary speakers will include (among others):
- Anne Goarzin (Université Rennes 2)
- Eve Patten (Trinity College Dublin)
- Niall Ó Ciosáin (NUI Galway)
- Gerry Smyth (Liverpool John Moores University)
Students can apply by submitting a CV and a short description of their research project (up to 1,000 words) before the 31st of January 2018. The number of participants is limited to 25.
The registration fee for this seminar will be ca. 250€. This covers (1) tuition, (2) 5 nights of accommodation and breakfast in the beautifully refurbished Irish College in Leuven, (3) registration as KU Leuven visiting scholars with access to library facilities (digital and otherwise) and (4) insurance for the duration of the stay. Participants or their institutions must be members of EFACIS.
A number of bursaries will be available for students without full scholarships: the registration fee will be waived for successful applicants. Eligible students should send an accompanying letter about their (lack of) funding, together with their CV and the description of their research project to the organizers.
For applications and further information, please contact Raphaël Ingelbien at firstname.lastname@example.org